Friday, October 15, 2010

Year Two, Letter Seven

hey everyone.

scripture: D&C 68: 2 - 6

umm so how are you all doing? it looks like you have been keeping
pretty busy. sorry that i am sending email so late. let me explain. we
received a phone call this morning from the Assistants. we were
informed that there would be an emergency transfer. one more. everyone
can take a deep breath...because i wasn´t involved in this transfer. i
am still in the same area with elder fernandes. but elder loftus and
almeida were split. almeida is going back to foz do iguaçu. so we were
busy getting everything packed up and going to the bus station with
him and such. so that is why this email is so late. now we have
another american getting here tomorrow.

so let´s get started.

FIRST ITEM OF IMPORTANCE! MEANING "VERY IMPORTANT:" P-DAY WAS CHANGED
AGAIN!!!!!! today is the last p-day that i will have on wednesday. As
of now, MONDAY is our P-DAY. it was changed BACK to monday. so! on
Sunday night, or early morning on monday, you need to send emails.
understood? P-DAY IS MONDAY. this monday will be the first, so you can
write on sunday night!

Jonathan was not baptized :( it is pretty difficult. but Alex and
Jonathan are ready. we did the pre-interview for both of them and they
are ready. Alex is stronger. the problem? we need to get permission
from their parents. so we will be working hard on that. but they are
really special. I feel like they are my younger brothers or something.
I feel like I need to help them to take these steps.

Sérgio is ready for baptism and chose this Saturday for his baptism
date. But, unfortunately, we aren´t COMPLETELY sure if he is keeping
the law of chastity with Sandra. it is just kinda an awkward question,
ya know? but we will be teaching them tonight.

Lillian is doing well, too. she is still working on keeping the law of
chastity, but she wants to go to be baptized, too. we are doing
everything we can to help, but it is delaying a little bit because
this last week was way busy.

Fernandes had a bit of a breakdown last night. We had a meeting with
the Branch President here and Fernandes wasn´t expecting such a
resolutely negative attitude from President Mario. Pres Mario
complained about every single investigator. We were explaining about
Alex and Jonathan and he just looked at us and was like, "You really
think any of these kids have a chance of being firm members?" in a
really rude way. Then with Lillian, he just laughed and said, "You
think that this girl is actually interested in the church? You sure
she isn´t just interested in one of you?" And with Sérgio, he just
goes, "There is no way that he is going to keep the Law of Chastity
with Sandra." I was used to it because Mario has never been supportive
of us in the time that I have been here. But Fernandes was SO ticked
and was almost crying from anger after the meeting. President Tavares
said that this area is going to close if we can´t get the attendance
at church to increase. It is at an average of about 50 or 55 people.

We have interviews with President on Saturday. I think he is going to
talk A LOT with me about the area and what i think the potential is. I
am praying to know what to say and what to do. I know this area and
our investigators have potential, but without the support of the
Branch, there is not much i can do for these people. everyone is just
so dispirited and disheartened. I don´t know how to get them excited.

We have a new curriculum for our teaching methods. we are changing the
way we teach and the way we help the people on their way to
conversion. it is a much more simplified method and it has been quite
good in the lessons that i have taught so far. how are the church
callings going? it was kinda weird the first time that i taught Gospel
Essentials. I wasn´t prepared or anything, but we were able to get an
awesome lesson. i guess Heavenly Father was like, "Oh wow...he is
going to make a fool of himself. Holy Ghost...help him, please..." Oh
yeah, I had a great experience this last Sunday. I got to church and
was informed that i was to give a 10 minute talk about missionary
work. zero preparation. how cool, huh? i talked about President
Brigham Young´s quote in chapter 1 of Preach My Gospel. apparently, it
was a very good talk. I didn´t seem to follow all my plans. I ended up
talking about that quote and how the Christ-like attributes are
essencial to do missionary work as members and such. it was a great
talk. and i actually passed on my time limit. how cool, right?

You guys work so much. But i am so glad for the example you guys have
given me. It is because of you guys that i can work hard here. because
you guys taught me. the family reunion seems like it will be...a
BLAST! but the house will be amazing as always.

I hope Wendy is able to cope with the changes that naturally happen in
our lives. I hope she can find comfort in the gospel.

That is awesome that the Cardinals won with Max Hall starting. talk
about tight. I love my weekly sports updates. I feel really involved
in the sport world. lol.

Um other little things...

In whatever package happens to be sent to me, can it have a tie clip
in it? like a cool tie clip that prevents my tie from flying around
and hitting people´s faces (by "people´s faces," i mean my face) when
the spring breezes blow all over the place. but a cool tie clip would
be splendid.

anyway. so DON`T FORGET! P-DAY IS MONDAY NOW. i guess that is all for now...

I LOVE YOU GUYS! Morgan...people might have thought i was weird for
looking at pictures of a naked baby, but thank you for the pictures of
my nephew :) i hope work is going better for you and that you can get
back into the swing of things. :)

that is all for now. until MONDAY! i love you guys and i hope you all
have a splendid week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment