Thursday, April 7, 2011

Year Two, Letter Thirty-one

Wowzers. Very, VERY busy week.

scripture: 2 Nephi 27:23

Where to start. Hmmmm....

Health:
Alright, well I definitely wouldn´t be able to walk the entire day
with that boot on. It just wouldn´t work out. Thank you for the
thought, but you don´t need to send the boot. I will finish
physiotherapy this week. Then, i will just continue doing exercises and
stretches. I will have to continue working, so I guess that isn´t much
of a choice.

April/Conference:
I can´t believe it is already April. But at the same time, I can. haha
that makes sense. April has been great so far. We will get to the why.
Conference was spectacular. I didn´t get to watch anything in English.
I understood everything, but it is annoying to listen to the
translator´s voice and not the person who is actually talking. It
isn´t as good. For example, when President Dieter F. Uchtdorf cracks a
joke about people sending text messages saying, "It has been 10
minutes...why hasn´t he said something about aviation?!" everyone who
is hearing him understands the joke. But then there are those people
watching and hearing in Portuguese...and they don´t understand why
there is a 20-year old American missionary cracking up in the middle
of the chapel with an investigator next to him. Good stuff, good
stuff. How do people not understand these jokes?! Just a side thought.
Anyway. So I didn´t get to watch all of conference. I didn´t get to
watch the Priesthood Session :(. I was present at all of the general
sessions, but I didn´t get to watch all of conference. I loved a talk
on Sunday from Elder Paul V. Johnson. But a lot of the time, i was
running all over the place trying to organize some other stuff.

Wedding/Wedding Party
What other stuff you might ask? Well. We had a wedding on Saturday
morning. :) We went to the cartório with Johny and Moira. Everything
went smoothly I guess. They showed up late. haha but other than that,
we had the wedding! Johny was hilarious. When people started asking
how it all went, he said, "I guess it is like a shot....once you look
to see what happened, it is already done." Haha it was hilarious. it
was so fast that it seems pointless. but we all know that it is a lot
more important than the 15 minutes that we spent in the cartório. the
bishop was like, "don´t worry, this wedding is only to follow the laws
of the country. what really matters is what will happen in one year
when you and moira enter the temple of God to be sealed for time and
eternity. you can be sure that it will be a lot longer and more
important than 15 minutes." and then the difficult stuff happened.
they decided to have their party on Saturday night and the bishop had
promised them a little party in the chapel. the problem? we didn´t
know about the party until Thursday. Yeah...there was LOTS of running.
we had all the responsibility of a party for them on our shoulders. We
talked with organizations (relief society, quorum, ward mission
leader, etc.) but even so, we didn´t have many results. But we had
lots of faith. We kept going and preparing and talking with people and
we pulled off a little party for them. Johny told me right at the end:
"As if you hadn´t already done enough for us, you guys put this
together for us. It was so much better than I though it would be.
Thank you for everything." Yeah...we are super heroes. We just don´t
use capes and funny masks. I don´t have that many pictures. Because I
didn´t have my camera. One of my favorite parts about the party was
something I heard Johny say. He was talking with an uncle of his about
the wedding and he said they got married so they could be baptized.
Then his uncle asked why he would do so much just to be baptized. And
Johny responded, "We need to do this. We spend our whole lives looking
for something better, searching for the truth. If you found the truth,
what would you do?" And when his uncle looked a little confused, he
said, "I found the truth. We found the truth that everyone looks for.
How could we not follow that?" good stuff. we got a few addresses from
his family. Oh and Dad...you kinda got me with your April Fool´s Joke.
Like, 65%.

White Clothes:
So on Sunday, I didn´t get to watch all the sessions because I was
running all over the place (including to the other chapel) to get
everything prepared for something more important than a wedding - a
baptism!! So we got everything set up and I went with a guy from the
ward to get baptismal clothes from the other ward. SO great. I missed
conference, but i got to participate in something unforgettable to
Johny and Moira...and to me. I got to baptize Johny and Moira on
Sunday night after the last conference session. Amazing. Moira was
scared...even Johny was way nervous...but everything went smoothly.
Several members stayed after the conference to help with the baptism.
Great.

Other Stuff:

So, what is the story with tyson now? and what about connor? what
happened with him when he went up to utah? that must have been rough
to hear the stuff about mission service.

I wanted to know my blood type just to know. Who knows....someone will
need O+ blood one day in Brazil.

I want to go to Florida with you guys and play golf. Why didn´t I get
the invite? I guess the Waterfalls were pretty great...but that
doesn´t mean that I can´t desire more. We went because we baptized
more in our district than any other zone or district. So we went and
Foz went with us. We soaked people in the waters of baptism...and the
waterfalls drenched us. That was fun. good thing I didn´t have to use
my camera to take pics. it woulda got way wet.

I definitely miss those waffles on conference morning. dang...trunkyyy

so i don´t know what day i will go home. i will call the secretaries today.

how did things go at ASU? what will my new major and stuff be? were
you able to talk with the people there?? need to know.

so i love you all a ton. this email is way long. i hope i covered
everything. have an awesome week. let the spirit of conference stay
with you at all times. when the choir sang "the spirit of God," i felt
the spirit so strong. i remembered the first time that i ever went to
priesthood session with dad and blake as a deacon. everyone sang that
song standing up. that was one of the most spiritual moments of my
life. i felt that same spirit this last Sunday. it was an experience
that i can say that i was overcome and full of the spirit. the feeling
was indescribable. i love conference and i love the gospel.

elder scott ghormley

No comments:

Post a Comment